Friday, July 31, 2009

5K race day report

Hier Sanders race verslag van Facebook. Knap gedaan hoor lieffie!

Here is Sanders race report from Facebook. God job sweetie!
5K race day report
Sunday, July 5, 2009 at 1:35pm
Last night I got to bed at 9.30pm in order to be able to get out again at 5 am and feel alive at the start of the race (8.30 am). Last week I started doubting my abilities after having run some 1 and 2K sprint which felt hard but then Alan as a good mentor put me back on the right track by having declare that I was going to run my PB which I did and that is who I was today. There were moments prior to race though that I was off again and it occured after I shared with Phil that I was doing the 5K race and told him I was going to run my PB. He then made a remark like "but do you know there is a hill around 3K?" Prior to me talking to Phil, my love had told me as well that "I know this course and I recall that it is hilly!". I could see myself going into the direction of "ok, this then is really going nowherer, especially if somebody so experienced as Phil is making this statement". Fortunately, I remembered what Alan had said to me last week and I declared to myself that I was going to run my PB no matter the circumstances.
After the go ahead for the start was given I immediately stared following Janice of the ARR as I overhead her saying that she was going to run 4.05 kilometers. I did the 1st K in 4.01 the second in 4.02 and the third in 4.03. It meant that I broke my unofficial 3K time by 9 seconds. I was extremely satisfied because I only had to do 8.44 over the last 2K to break my PB. I expected to slow down in the kilometer pace a little due to upcoming hill, say some 15 seconds. Actually, it was a little bit more (4.24K) so that I had to do the last kilometer in 4.20 to beat the PB. I failed to do so. I was completely worn down when entering the track for the last 400 meters. While going up hill I left Janice behind me but she was going to put in a final push for the last 400. I could not match up to her and she finished 7 seconds in front of here. After crossing the finished I wanted to vomit (did not happen fortunately -> empty stomach) so I knew I had given it all. The disappointment did not last long. I realized that I did not run a sub 21 for 20 years, I did broke a PB on the 3K, the course was 5038 meters according to race website which would mean that a scaled down time would be just below 20.50 which would be a PB, and also that I realize that I have to put in more 1 and 2K sprint in between doing the 200 meter intervals to get comfortable at running at 4.06 kilometers.
Thanks for all the support that I received from all of you out there during the last few weeks as well as during the race.
And Carla, way to go, for taking 45 seconds of your PB!
Sander

0 comments:

 
Schrijf gerust een commentaartje... Feel free to add a comment...